March 31, 2011

twitter + plurk

I LOVE TWITTER AND PLURK.

I know that a lot of people don't understand it. But I see twitter and plurk as a sort of mix between instant messaging and blogging. Maintaining conversations is easy, and I don't have to worry about that awkward bit of dead space when you run out of things to talk about (happens in instant messenger). And it's easy to share interesting things/links to your friends. Some links that I had favourited because of usefulness/interestingness from plurk and twitter:

http://blog.ryan-a.com/post/1325972211/nif01 - wordless glasses boy comic

http://www.wordsthatstay.com/?p=253 - Manga is not a dirty word

http://www.tamagotchisketch.com/ - drawing tamagotchi

http://saucenao.com/ - one of those reverse image look-ups. I believe that it specifically helps look up images from the japanese site, Pixiv. I find it useful when I want to reblog something on tumblr but the person doesn't put a link clickthrough to the source.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=16341408 - handmade lace using letters and numbers (for drawings, borders, etc.)

http://www.newberryworkshop.com/Tutorial/tut.html - mini tutorials for art

http://www.austinkleon.com/2011/03/30/how-to-steal-like-an-artist-and-9-other-things-nobody-told-me/ - how to steal like an artist, something inspirational to all.

The last one in particular I was just linked to today, and it just makes me feel nice about myself... that someone took the time to write out that article.  Most specifically #3: Write the book you want to read.
Draw the art you want to see, make the music you want to hear, write the books you want to read.
Something like that resonates to me because really just draw whatever I like? With stories that I would like to write I try to do something that interests me. I don't try to be a trendsetter or anything by being like OH I DON'T FOLLOW MAINSTREAM FANDOMS/ETC., but it's mostly because I just do what I like to do. If it happens to overlap with what everyone else likes, that's great. If people like what I do, that's cool too.

BLEGH ok this what I tell myself... haha.

2 comments:

  1. i'm the opposite! i hate twitter because i can't condense all my thoughts into one-line...nor can i make something witty in one line XD and also i feel left out when I read other people's tweets (almost wrote 'twits' there hahaha!) because they sound like just inside jokes with other people.
    and i've always tried to take that advice "make something you want to see" but I have a dilenma., basically if I make it, it's no longer exciting! therefore, I hope there exists a lot of talented people out there who can channel the things I like into different types of unique visions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last paragraph is very much how I feel too!! Keep doing what you like :)
    CAUSE I LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE hurhur

    Plurk has been great for me, I like that it condenses conversations into one place! Twitter is fine for me too since I'm not following too many random things :) just things I care about.

    ReplyDelete