April 04, 2011

drwngs

for some reason I like to keep augustfive fairly decent quality... maybe because I don't like trying to create art dumps in tumblr. Well, I also don't think that my current layout for augustfive is suited for anything more complicated than single image posts.



I like reading stories about kids going to mage academies... and I'm not talking about any modern fantasy settings, I want a high fantasy setting with mage students and apprenticeships and knights. HAHA. It makes me want to make another world. I already have this one world that is about princes and knights and kingdoms and bastard-heirs and corrupted kings and etc (no magic though). And then I have another one that is sci-fi/fantasy involving alien races and intergalactic associations and more politics and action ((also both are liberally sprinkled with you know what!!)).

I also rewatched Treasure Planet the other day! I know that Treasure Planet... a lot of people don't like the way they adapted Treasure Island for the movie and that the story (of the animate film) is kinda meh for them. But I LOVE the setting. And another thing: I'm actually not really a literary nerd and I don't really read classics at all... In any case, I love this mix of space and pirates and boats in space, so very hipsterrrrrr. Pirate ships in space with a nebula background.

Starting to think that I just love fantasy-type worlds whether it leans towards the sci-fi side or high-fantasy stuff. Maybe it's just fun to ignore real world.

A friend shared a link that explained this brushset that I downloaded for photoshop! So I decided to play around... since I'm still on my fantasy-kick, it's some demon guy. Actually, even though I like fantasy settings, I haven't really studied my mythical/magical creatures and am a noob in that....

Here is the link by the way: http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5152&page=1

^^ a princey guy?? Kind of reminds me of Howl hahaha. But I just like drawing random doods. feathery capesssss

^^^ birthday gift for my friend Krio... this is his AoH character!

What I've noticed in a lot of the things that I've been drawing is that when I try to draw stuff for dA groups, I'm always trying to somewhat conform my drawing methods to something that other people draw for said groups. I could probably write a huge tl;dr block of text explaining why I think that groups are no longer the thing for me and how drawing for them often leads me to art emo-ing, hahaha.

In any case, 99.9999999999% of the time, EVERYTHING that I draw for a group, I end up hating. As opposed to all the random things I draw for myself. When you join dA groups, there is this pressure to BANDWAGON, first with wanting to join every group that your friends are joining, and then when you start to see them do all these memes/drawing for the group, you want to do that too. I think I don't like this sort of pressure. Because when I draw for a dA group, I think that I am not drawing 100% for myself (also other things like feeling like I can't submit unfinished messy things for groups, feeling like I have to draw something that is more character-focused as opposed to narrative/composition/etc. focused).

Sigh, definitely going to try to not join anymore dA groups ever. I am glad that I joined because groups helped me meet all of the friends that I've made but now there are just so many groups popping up with THE SAME people that I never become friends with and ergh. I also want to know what was the last RP group that was really strong?? All I see are a bunch of groups that start up, have a BANDWAGON of people joining, and then in the end there's only a handful of people that continue to draw for the group... ergh... it's like a neverending cycle.

How did this end up being a ranting about groups anyways.... lol... moving on...

haha, because I won't deny it, I am also a hypocrite... even though I feel this way towards groups, I ended up getting involved with one of the dA groups I'm a member of and am now one of the 4 people helping out with a spring event...

something that is more lined than painted.

and here are the unfinished stuffs... my digital sketching style is so messy and there's probably a more efficient way to do things.



^^^ I am sort of on the fence about joining this NEW group (lol, more hypocritical things coming from my mouth). It's called Chrysalice Chronicles. the main reason why I am tempted is because of the setting for the group (fantasy). It's also plot based with an activity-requiredness so... ergh it is hard for me to resist....

but I think I will just ban myself from joining anymore groups and just retreat to my world building by myself...

4 comments:

  1. Are you a fan of FF-style worlds then?? Since they usually have some sort of classical fantasy and sci-fi influence on them.

    Your randoms are always really neat/interesting looking!! Your fantasy type characters definitely fit in their own category.. I think the fantasy ppl I make up are always too flashy somehow XD

    You should just make your OWN group and set your own standard 8D. I am so GD awful at RP, so I'm always envious of ppl who can do it! There is definitely a sense of excitement when your chara gets to interact with someone else's character, but that sort of character plus artist compatibility doesn't always work out for me!

    I was part of an orig-chara-art-trade group for a few years!! Eventually I got more and more self conscious of the lameness of my originals (UWAA) because most of them are modern day regular joe schmoes,and they're not super interesting cause I can't write their stories out properly.

    Not to mention my fail at keeping up with comments/groups/forums... perhaps this is why I like doing comic/books, because then you only have to commit super intensely for a short duration and move on again XD?

    *RAMBLE FOREVER*

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE ALREADY DISCUSSED HOW WE LIKE RAMBLING (yay), it makes me feel good to get long comments because I know that you were reading what I wrote... at the same time I am surprised you took the time out to read it all!

    Actually I think I probably am (a fan of FF-style worlds), but I've only played FFX. But I think I am the type of person that would enjoy looking at the concept art for FF-series (and other games like it) because of the setting.

    Haha thanks! That means a lot to me from a fellow fantasy ppl-appreciation-friend! I guess my fantasy characters lean towards being normal people XD.

    Ooh! I actually suck at RP/don't have that much interest in RP, so I also admire the people who do it. I get really lazy, I just want to draw out my people and just make up a random story in my head. Maybe I am a little too control freak? I like having control over the stories that I make, XD. But maybe if I find some people who have the same mindset as I do to interact with... ((But there's also the fact that I think I would be a very lazy leader and not a very good organizer for a group like this XD))

    An art-trade group sounds fun, actually! I don't see a lot of those around dA. I guess the dA RP groups are similar because people create characters and then sometimes other people draw each other's characters. But those groups are so big and I get intimidated to meet other people so I never instigate art trading. =__=. This sounds like the kind of group I would enjoy though! ((But at the same time I think I also feel self conscious for some reason when other people have these amazing designs hahaha...))

    But yes, I think RP groups have a lot of time commitment from both people, and usually I'm the one that gets lazy LOL. That's the beauty of doing things on your own, you can decide how long you want to spend on it. 8D.

    Though I will make sure to share things on here always. 8D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UWAAAA I have to remember to copy/paste my comments before they get eaten by blogger ;A;

    I haven't played anything beyond FF8 since I only have a sega saturn haha. I have to say that the character designs for the newer games make me wanna cryyyy so it turns me off! But the world/enviros are definitely very interesting!
    Actually my fav game evaarrr is Shining Force <3 which has all the high fantasy archetypes HUHUHU knights mages archers huhuhuhu I LOVE THEM SO MUCHHHHH.

    I understand your comment about being a control freak XD; I think I'm similar! I've had people make my character go OOC and start warping their personalities, and I feel like a defensive parent who is watching their child being brainwashed! It's best when you find a RP partner who take the time to understand your character so they can interact properly T3T!!

    The art group I was in was actually on a private forum... I'm not sure how it came about, but one day I magically got an invitation to join it from DA (back when I was... active on DA, haha)! It was a really nice group, and I'd love to go back again!! You shouldn't be intimidating because you're a great creator/artist yourself :D!!

    ~Let's be lazy ramblers together~

    ReplyDelete
  4. My internet is sometimes very crappy, so when I make long comments/posts I usually type it up on TextEdit and then c&p later. I guess I turned this into a very good habit?

    Also can't seem to bring myself to end this rambling comment spree, I guess I really missed this about LJ.

    Ahhh if I had the console to play Shining Force, I would check it out!! I want someone to create a game that uses those traditional high fantasy archetypes 8D 8D 8D. I ALSO LOVE THEM ALL!! I don't know if I can figure out why I like them so much though!

    Yes!! I get very attached to characters I create and I usually want them to stay somewhat IC, but it's hard when you know that the person you RP with has a character that doesn't mesh well with yours... and then the warping starts... VERY SAD! But I am also not very good at writing...

    At least the rambling get's shorter and shorter~

    ReplyDelete