May 17, 2011

sketchbooks and birthdays

Today was another errand day because I went to the coop to use my rebate card. Each year I get one because I turn in all of my receipts (being an archi student has it's perks-ish, because if you save all the receipts from the uni stores and turn them in at the end of semester, you get 10% of the total as a giftcard!) I like to spend the card at the art coop, and I got a new red moleskine sketchbook (the large size). I don't feel guilty because the card expires at the end of June anyways, and I'm leaving Austin this Thursday.


I was with my friend Maggie when I bought the Japanese Album moleskine... pocket size. I wonder when I will use it because I don't want to fuck it up. It'll be a work in progress.

Speaking of which, I ran into Maggie and Lauren on the way to the coop. It was good except I think I was a little weird because I hadn't talked to them in a long time, since I wasn't in studio with them (and I had places to be). They're both doing a study abroad in Europe next sem so I won't be seeing them in the fall, but I'll probably hang out with them for my 21st since we'll all be in Austin.

I drew something in my sketchbook for lawn's birthday, her OC casper:

Since I had to scan the whole page, here's something from the other side:
I should get in the habit of drawing in my sketchbook again.


I was going to rant about certain kinds of people that I dislike, but I can't put it into words. Well, they're just the kind of person that I know I could never get along with. Too serious, enjoys playing devil's advocate, etc... whereas I'm the kind of person that likes to blend in the background?? I don't know how to describe it. But people like that ruin my enjoyment. I guess you could say that they are a bit pretentious (with good reason??). I sometimes wonder what these people think are funny/etc. They are so hard to please that I can't even bother with them, so I don't.

Speaking of devil's advocate, I think that sometimes playing devil's advocate works but only against certain types of people. For other people who are "too sensitive" (I say it in quotes because I am one of those people), when people decide to play devil's advocate against them, they just shut down. I'm definitely the type of person to just shut down and stop contributing ideas if I know I'll be challenged. And debates really tire me out mentally, because I hate arguing with people. The thing is (haha here is my ego speaking), I know that I sometimes come up with a lot of great ideas that others don't think of, but I only share when it's in a safe environment. So when I see a Devil's Advocate in my presence, I am automatically wary about sharing ideas... ideas that other people might be able to use.

Or maybe I'm just too sensitive but I don't even want to grow a spine. Growing spines only works if you are a person who has a lot of ambition in life.

1 comment:

  1. I hate arguing too (fuu) can't everyone be lovefulll insteadd??? Take your awesome ideas and put them towards your own projects then 8D

    I hsve been drawing a lot of garbage in my Moleskin so it's a lost cause (troll)

    ReplyDelete