though I guess that this also suits me because j says that my works can be subtle but intense at the same time, which is something that I like =). I think I'm also the type that expresses my emotions in subtle ways.
Ogata for Ogata day! I think last time I drew a sparkly/crying ogata??? but this one is a serious eternal youth ogata, haha.
After not drawing for a while (a week) I felt kind of weird drawing again... like I'm the kind of person that forgets what drawing feels like easily?? I should have tried to at least doodle in my sketchbook once per day... I didn't finish these because I got a little frustrated. I found a new photoshop brush that I enjoy lining with, but I like to color and line with the same brush haha.
I was talking about BL/comic stuff last night: (lots of related/unrelated/off topic rambling ahead)
Having no internet made me ambitious about working on comics, so I'm working on SS*BB (though after I finish this I think I want to tackle my abandoned ghost story again)! But I think that in general I am in a better comic making mood... I think it's also because of all the BL manga I am marathoning.
When I think about my taste in BL manga... first I guess I should say that I read pretty much anything. Though when I was asked about what authors I like... well, without a doubt first I had to say Suzuki Tsuta. And then I also like Fujiyama Hyouta and when I thought about it some more, I am also drawn to Hidaka Shouko's works.
More than the artist style, I like to read stories that are simple/straightforward and have a happy/hopeful ending. I feel like I'm more drawn to the overall atmosphere that a story has over their art style... which is probably why I can't really name artists when people talk about the art style that people want to achieve. It's easier for me to pick out specific pictures and be like "I want to make something that is kind of like this feeling". hahah so ambiguous.
Anyways, back to comics, I'm fine if things are a little cliche. In fact I kind of enjoy it when plots have some cliche elements but they seem refreshing.
J says that Fujiyama Hyouta's is "good at drawing kind of subtle of intense eye contact" (from j) which is something that I love! I also think her storytelling is very straightforward and easy to read. I get the same feeling from Hidaka Shouko... and I also think that they way that they both tell stories is similar to what I like.
For Suzuki Tsuta, she's definitely a
"I think there a bunch of artists much more original and profound in content but Suzuki Tsuta was one of the first authors I read and really enjoyed... She also gives life to her characters in a way... her stories aren't completely original, but if you look at all her works as a whole, you will see that she includes a huge spectrum of personalities and characters in everything she draws." (from cid)
^^ This is exactly what I think of her too. Like I already mentioned I'm a simple person so I like stories that are easy/straightforward to read, but at the same time it's good when the stories are given a new spin that makes it refreshing.
And I like the age range of the men that all three of these authors draw.
I have a harder time trying to read works that are more obtuse... or the works that feel like they're trying to be obtuse... usually I have to be in a certain mood to read those (as opposed to other stories that I can read at any time). I can't really think of specific titles at the moment, but I do remember that there have been times when other people rave about a story/author but I don't feel the same way...
There are also times when people rave about artists and I don't feel the same way either haha.






DANG THIS IS SUCH A GOOD POST (unproductive comment)
ReplyDeleteI like Hidaka Shouko too!!! Yamashita Tomoko is also similarrrrrrr! Tanaka Suzuki is good at subtly when she's doing more serious stories too (and her comedies are cute <3).
And I feel like Kyuugo could be in this cohort, but I haven't read enough of her work to know...
Everything is so tl;dr I'M GLAD YOU READ IT
ReplyDeleteI like all of these authors you mentioned, we have such good tasteeeeeee... because it's similar!